Toyota 86 – Still Unstoppable…!?
After years and years of long awaited concept, development, prototypes etc. Much like what we had with GT5 the Play Station game, we finally have this much anticipated car actually hitting the road. Toyota 86, as the successor of the AE86.
We had the chance the test the car with Auto, but it was a good thing we waited for this 6 speed manual. This gearbox is top notch, maybe not as crisp as the gearbox offer with the Type-R cars, but it’s precise. Combined with the naturally aspirated 2,000cc Flat 4 (FA20) engine, pushing out a mere 197hp, 205 Nm of torque. The car tips the balance at around 1,200kg so not exactly the lightweight car.
The interior is ok, everything works, layout is good, the buttons have a nice hefty touch to them, but just don’t seem to have integrated as well as the German rivals, there is sooo much “sportiness” to all the decal and trims of the car. Fancy, maybe a little too fancy. Also a quick scan at the catalogue, and see the price tag, it seems to have sway towards the deeper end of the affordable sports car bracket, not expensive as such, but definitely not a number that you would not think twice about other options.
Essential question, how does it drive? Taking the 86 through the highways, it feels very sedated, or no drama. The ride is firm, the engine pulls well, road manner and noise does not extrude, which is where the problem lies, is this a sports car? Show it some twisty bits and it all change, with the low center of gravity, communicative chassis and steering, very linear power from the flat 4, somehow the formula is right. It’s a true joy, whilst most manufacturer focused on spaciousness (hence the mass number of front wheel drive), and performance (turbo charged engines with double clutch gearbox) here we have a car that takes us back to a time when simple is best. As a driver, YOU have to work on driving the car, get the braking, turn-in, and exit right, you will definitely be rewarded with exponential feeling of pure simple joy, it’s such a fun car.
We live in a world of technical advance and comfort. Has the 86 answered our pray for a rewarding car to DRIVE instead of sitting in, I’ll let you to conclude.
豐田86 – 勢不可擋
期待已久由概念，開發，原型車等，就像一眾車迷期待PS 的GT5，這車款終於推出，豐田 86，AE86的繼任者。
今次測試這6速手動款。這變速箱感覺不錯，也許還不如TYPE-R車的變速箱清脆，但它很精確。配合自然吸氣2,000 CC水平對向4氣缸（FA20）引擎，推動僅197馬力，205 Nm的扭矩。重量也不太輕, 大約1200公斤。
- Toyota Races after Tesla with Its Electric Sports Car (tsrperformance.com)
- Toyota 86 from $29k HEY HEY this is something to jump in the air and click your heels about. (gaycarboys.com)
- Toyota Rediscovers the Joy of Rear-Wheel Performance (wired.com)
- Toyota’s retro rocket (todayonline.com)
- Scion FR-S turns heads at Houston Auto Show (sfgate.com)
- Electric sports car: Toyota takes on Tesla (csmonitor.com)
- 6 Legit Sports Cars for Less Than $26K (carinsurancequotes.net)
- Electric cars don’t have to be boring (topgear.com)
- Mercedes SL63 AMG car review (topgear.com)
- Lotus Evora IPS (topgear.com)